For two decades, Twilight Imperium has thrilled gamers with its grand storytelling and tactical strategy. Now, players can explore the next step in the Twilight Imperium legacy with Twilight Imperium Fourth Edition, an epic game of galactic conquest for three to six players.
Each player takes command of one of seventeen unique civilizations to compete for interstellar supremacy through warfare, trade, uncertain allegiances, and political dominance. Every faction offers a completely different play experience, from the wormhole-hopping Ghosts of Creuss to the Emirates of Hacan, masters of trade and economics. These seventeen races are offered many paths to victory, but only one may sit upon the throne of Mecatol Rex as the new masters of the galaxy.
No two games of Twilight Imperium are ever identical?at the start of each galactic age, the game board is uniquely and strategically constructed using 51 galaxy tiles that feature everything from lush new planets to supernovas, from asteroid fields to gravity rifts. Players are dealt a hand of these tiles and take turns creating the galaxy around Mecatol Rex, the capital planet seated in the center of the board. An ion storm may block your race from progressing through the galaxy while a fortuitously placed gravity rift may protect you from your closest foes. The galaxy is yours to both craft and dominate.
A round of Twilight Imperium begins with players selecting one of eight strategy cards. These cards both determine turn order and provide players with special abilities in the realms of ship movement, trade, technology, and more.
- The Leadership strategy card allows a player to gain additional command tokens for their fleet.
- The Diplomacy strategy card allows a player to prevent other factions from activating a system.
- The Politics strategy card allows a player to draw additional action cards and give a player the Speaker token.
- The Construction strategy card allows a player to build planetary structures, like space docks and PDS units.
- The Trade strategy card allows a player to produce commodities and gain trade goods.
- The Warfare strategy card allows for extended ship mobility.
- The Technology strategy card allows a player to research technology in exchange for resources.
- The Imperial strategy card allows a player to gain a victory point if they control Mecatol Rex, or draw an additional secret objective.
After this phase, players will then take turns exploring the galaxy, claiming new planets, engaging in warfare, and activating their strategy cards. Players do this primarily by using command tokens separated into three distinct areas on their command sheet. Command tokens in the tactics pool may be placed on galaxy map tiles to activate those specific systems, meaning your ships in nearby systems may move in to them. If those ships carry ground forces, they may land on unclaimed planets in that system and add them to your empire, giving players additional resources to construct ships and research technology, and additional influence to vote in the galactic council.
Twilight Imperium generates unique space operas every time players sit down to play. Fourth Edition not only streamlines many of the rules found in earlier editions of the game, but also places further emphasis on player interaction.
With over 354 plastic units, 450 cards, 700 tokens, 50 galaxy tiles, and so much more, Twilight Imperium Fourth Edition redefines what it means to be epic in the world of board gaming.
The day will soon come when a new Empire will rise. For the sake of all, may the new Emperor have not only the power to seize the throne, but the strength to hold together the peace. Are you ready for another age of twilight?